Dehkhoda Lexicon Institute

visits:391
Dehkhoda Lexicon Institute

Dehkhoda Lexicon Institute is the first organization in Iran which as established to compile Persian lexicon in January 1945; almost 30 years after Dehkhoda planned to compile it at his house on Iranshahr Street, Tehran, with the approval of the National Assembly. After Dehkhoda passed away in 1955, the organization was moved next to the Parliament building in Baharestan Square. According to Dehkhoda’s will, Dr. Mohammad Mo’in became the Head of the Organization and other Dehkhoda’s companions, namely Dr. Mohammad Dabir Siaghi and Dr. Mohammad Jafar Shahidi assisted him. In December 1957, according to an Act of Parliament, the organization was transferred to the Faculty of Literature in the University of Tehran with an allocated budget and the members of the Lexicon Institute continued their job in the Negarestan building in Baharestan Square. In 1974, the late Dr. Mahmoud Afshar, endowed one of his buildings to Dehkhoda Lexicon. Since 2004, the Dehkhoda Lexicon Institute location changed to a building built by the University of Tehran at the endowment of Dr. Mahmoud Afshar. For more information, refer to the introduction of Dehkhoda Lexicon. Digital Printing, p. 407